Scan-and-Solve for Rhino

Simulate Early, Simulate Often... In Rhino

For rapid prototyping the materials are varied with different properties.

Can I build a custom material using the following information supplied by the manufacturer? How do I go about this?

Laser Sintering
Units Condition Alumide
Tensile Modulus MPa DIN EN ISO 527  3800+/- 150
Tensile Strength MPa DIN EN ISO 527  48 +/- 3
Elongation at Break % DIN EN ISO 527  3.5 +/- 1
Flexural Modulus N/mm² DIN EN ISO 178  3600 +/- 150

Thanks

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shaw-

Entering a custom material is as simple as clicking the [Custom] button in the Specify tab.  For more information on using the material editor, see this link.

Scan&Solve requires correct values for:

• Young's Modulus (Also known as Tensile Modulus)
  • Poisson's Ratio
  • Material Density (only if using body/gravity loads)

For Danger level computations, Yield Strength is required for ductile materials (von Mises and Rankine failure criteria).  Brittle materials require both Tensile Strength and Compressive Strength to be entered.  Incorrect values in the Strength fields will allow a solution to be computed, but the computed Danger Levels will not be correct.  Lower strength values will result in increased (more conservative) danger levels.

Obviously, the challenge is determining the values for the quantities you don't already have, or estimating them from the ones you do.

Poisson's ratio will usually be in the range of 0.2 to 0.3 for most materials.  Some research online should get you into the ballpark, then you might try different values to determine how they affect the stress results.  (I'd aim to be conservative)

You can be assured the Yield Strength will always be a fraction of the Tensile Strength.  However, without additional information or testing, determining the value of this fraction may not be possible.

Sorry, that's the best I can suggest at the moment.

~Michael

RSS

FOLLOW SCAN&SOLVE

© 2024   Created by Michael Freytag.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service