Scan-and-Solve for Rhino

Simulate Early, Simulate Often... In Rhino

Hello all!

First I want to thank the team for developing this great and quite powerful plugin for the great Rhino software. I´m waiting for such a plugin since many years!

We are a small company, working on micro-hydropower components and plants. With this tool, the calcualtions about the critical forces on the turbine blades will be much easier, but on some stages of our development, we have to do some torque and strength calculations for different shafts.

Is there an easy sollution to add a "torque" - force at one end of  steel shaft and to calculate the torosion on the other end of the shaft... ?

Another question to shaft operations:
For shafts, we normally use fully cylindrical, surface hardened stainless steel shafts. On this cylindrical shafts, we use normally a taper bush for mounting a turbine runner ona the shaft. Same for the bearings, we use a clampable pedestal bearing. For calcualtions with SnS, I try to specify an area of the shaft as a restrain area, and another area as a load area. I do not find a sollution for doing this, so I have to add quite small "steps" in the (normally 100% cylindrical) shape of the shaft, to create this small surface areas for the restrain and loads, extra for SnS.

Is there any trick???

Best Regards

Simon

PS: Sorry for the bad English!

Views: 168

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Simon,
Your English reads fine to me.

In its present incarnation, Scan&Solve does not have a simple way to enter torque loads except to divide the surface of the geometry into smaller portions as you've done.

We will have to ponder for a bit on how to add torque capability in a manner that is intuitive to the majority of users.

Thanks,
Michael
Hello Micheal!

Thank for this information! At the moment, I attach some kind of a crank on the testing shaft, to produce a kind of torque on it. I think this is not really a torque force because SnS has no information about the rotation axis and calcualtes more as a kind of movement. This should IMHO the only possible way to test it, or what do you (as you know your algorithm) think about?

I think an intuitive way for everyone is to choose out a surface or crosssection of a solid, determine the "rotoation" direction and the ammount of torque (in Nm).

Same should be to calculate the centrifugal force by choosing axis direction, material and speed.

Maybe you can find a way to insert the torque and cetrifugal force operations on an further step of development.

Best Regards

Simon
Here´s a sample of that, what I mean! Should work...
Attachments:
Hi Simon, Michael

Torque would be a very good option to have. I also had to do a little workaround on a recent project. Not as critical as turbine shafts, but nevertheless a substantial investment in tooling.

Also, I used simple scalar forces. Haven't had a chance to play with vector forces yet. Should be possible to set that up to simulate a tangential load which may be fine for non-critical applications.

Incidentally, we are expecting delivery of an acrylic 3D print this afternoon. Sns was used to find a load with acrylic that gives similar values to the polypropylene we plan to use... admittedly a little "rough & ready" but will allow us to conduct a certain amount of validation with the acrylic model.

Ian

PS (loving SnS - keep up the good work)
Attachments:

RSS

FOLLOW SCAN&SOLVE

© 2024   Created by Michael Freytag.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service