Scan-and-Solve for Rhino

Simulate Early, Simulate Often... In Rhino

Seeking additional material suggestions: What materials would you like added?

Hello Scan-and-Solve community,

I am currently seeking additional materials that users would like to see added to the Scan-and-Solve material library http://www.intact-solutions.com/resources.php

There is already a solid foundation of metals, plastics, and woods, as well as the option to customize one's own material, however if there are any materials you wish were included please post them here.

Thanks,

Ben

Views: 1466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ben,

I am trying to get my engineer for a yacht project to put his head together with the SnS guys and come up with a series of carbon fiber/epoxy laminates that can further be used with common Airex foam cores to run sims on components of the boats. My builder uses a combination of bi-axial CF that the engineer considers 'quasi-isotropic due to the orientation of the strands. I'll try and post any info on the rest of the combinations here for all to study and make suggestions and hopefully we can add these to the mats library.

Thanks for taking the lead here!

Jody Culbert

Jody,

I will further investigate this topic to see what we can do.

Thank you for your feedback

yes its a good Idea

dear Ben

is there a possibility to get the data of a laminated beam (douglas fir)

Ron,

If the grain orientation in the layers of your composite beam is relatively consistent among the layers, you can use the material properties for the wood of your choice.  You should then choose the grain orientation [Rift] [Flat] [Specify] [Guide] that corresponds to the overall grain pattern in the composite beam.  This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGjsMcXH2OQ may help in this regard.  If not, let us know and we can help.

If the orientation of the wood in the layers is not consistent (or you wish to change the composite material between layers), you must design the object one layer at a time with each layer being in contact, and add each component into Scan&Solve Pro individually. You can then select the desired material and grain orientation for each layer, and simulate the object as a whole (this is possible due to Scan&Solve Pro’s ability to treat multiple components in contact as a single joined objet). This technique of creating many thin layers individually to form a large object however can be tedious, computationally intensive, and prone to input errors.

Ben, thank you I shall try the first option

Ron

I agree with you.

Is it possible that you can you send me me the explanation of the abbreviatons of the wood sectie

I assume you are referring to the material selector column title abbreviations displayed below.

These abbreviations represent the material properties in the different grain directions, with the l subscript representing the longitudinal grain direction, t subscript representing the tangential grain direction, and r subscript representing the radial grain direction. The variable E indicates the Elastic (Young’s) modulus of the material in the specified subscript direction, which represents the material stiffness. The variable v represents the materials Poisson’s ratio, and is followed by two subscripts. The corresponding ratio describes the amount strain will be experienced in the second subscript direction as a result of strain experienced in the first subscript direction. For example, if a beam is in pure tension along the longitudinal direction, the thickness of the material body will begin to decrease through a process called necking. The larger the Poisson’s ratio is in the Vlr and Vlt directions, the more necking the material would experience. The variable G represents the material shear modulus, which is a representation of material stiffness in the shearing directions defined by the subscripts.

The material properties for the woods in the Scan&Solve database are derived from those published here:  http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch04.pdf

Note that vlt does not equal vtl, vrt does not equal vtr, and vlr does not equal vrl.  However, they are interrelated through the equations: vlt/El = vtl/Et, vrt/Er = vtr/Et, vlr/El = vrl/Er.

ben

That will do

Ron

Ceramics.

Hi Leslie,

We can definitely add ceramic material properties. Are there specific ceramics that you use that you would like included?

Will

RSS

FOLLOW SCAN&SOLVE

© 2024   Created by Michael Freytag.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service