Scan-and-Solve for Rhino

Simulate Early, Simulate Often... In Rhino

Hello everybody,

I'm a new subscriber and relatively new user of "SnS".. I really hope you can help me out here!!

I need to simulate the balance of a chaise lounge, more specifically I need to know to which weight the chair will be subject of overturn.

In the simulation I would like to run a test with and without a person sitting on it.

This means that I should avoid to have any constraint to the ground in relationship with the object

and apply a set of horizontal and vertical forces to see how it would react. 

Can scan and solve perform this kind of simulation?

Many thanks! 

Views: 672

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Michele,

In terms of balance, can you just ensure the center of gravity of the person/chair combination falls within the footprint of the feet?

As far a simulation goes, your chair needs to be restrained somewhere in X, Y, and Z.  Here's a possible option:

As you can see, one of the rear legs is restrained in all directions, and the others are restrained in Z only.  This roughly* simulates the legs being free to slide on the floor.

To determine if the weight distribution wants to lift any legs off the ground, look at Stress-ZZ near the ends of the legs.  If Stress-ZZ is largely positive around the area of a foot, then the restraint of the floor is probably tending to keep that foot on the floor.  Since this is unrealistic, you could try re-running the simulation with these feet unrestrained.

Does this help?

~Michael

* NOTE: Restraining the bottom face of the legs will prevent rotation of the foot, this will likely induce bending stresses near the bottom of the leg that would not be present in real life.  Allowing some rotation requires extra insight that we can help you with if you're interested.

RSS

FOLLOW SCAN&SOLVE

© 2024   Created by Michael Freytag.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service