Scan-and-Solve for Rhino

Simulate Early, Simulate Often... In Rhino

Many  Scan&Solve users have asked for educational materials, references, and tutorials.     Of course,  the more you know, the more effective your use of the software will be.    But it is an interesting question of which topics would be most useful.    For example,  one could argue that Scan&Solve users do not really need to know much about FEA, since the numerical details are completely hidden from them.   Rudimentary introduction to strength of materials and structural mechanics is definitely helpful,  and there are many classic texts and handbooks,  but most of  of them get very technical very fast -- because they expect that readers need to be able to compute everything by hand.  But you've got Scan&Solve! ... which means that you do not really need the equations, just the concepts.     So perhaps the best places to look is design texts or handbooks, e.g.

-- first 3 chapters of Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain

-- chapters 3 and 5 of Invention and Evolution by Michael French

-- and my favorite is probably  J. E. Gordon's Structures  (because there are lots of pictures and examples and almost no equations!)

I am sure that there are more.   Other opinions or suggestions?   If you have them,  please share!

Views: 596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

May I suggest some beginner mistakes to be avoided might be a good tutorial specific to Scan&Solve.

Also a tutorial on how to model certain restraints and forces correctly would help me a bit. At the moment it is a lot of trial and error for me.

How about a tutorial on determining the best resolution.

I hope that the few posted videos are helpful in at least getting going.   But you are right that figuring out correct boundary conditions and applying them in a particular software  is probably the most challenging part of any simulation.   We will be adding more types of restraints and loads as time goes on.

You can see a good example of how to use resolution in this post by Richard.   The basic idea is simple:  you want the coarsest resolution (for speed) that gives you a "good" answer.   What is a good answer?  It is the one that does not change much when you increase the resolution.     

Vadim, what about some samples using NAFEMS benchmarks that are applicable to S&S' present capabilities?

I do not think that benchmarks in general help to learn or enlighten.    They could help build confidence,  I suppose,  but I would prefer to see benchmarks done by users and not by us.   This would be much more credible and meaningful.    Not sure if NAFEMS are interesting or useful;  most of them do not seem apply.   If you have a specific example in mind,  why not just test it? 

Excellento! - Thanks Vadim!

Ian

RSS

FOLLOW SCAN&SOLVE

© 2024   Created by Michael Freytag.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service